Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
This position will remain open until filled
First Resume Review: 03/22/2019
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The newly established Division of Health Care Advocacy & Advancement (DHCAA) ensures Health Plan and Program Contractors’ resolution of consumer affairs and human rights issues and compliance with related aspects of their contracts. The DHCAA is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Waiver Manager. This position serves a key role in managing Arizona’s Section 1115 Research and Demonstration Waiver; serve as the point person for 1115 Waiver evaluations, performing health policy research and sophisticated policy analysis, giving public presentations, and working closely with AHCCCS staff, CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) staff, and other officials and stakeholders. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Serves at the point person for 1115 Waiver evaluation including building, maintaining, and managing the evaluation structure for each of the unique demonstrations within the 1115 Waiver. Ensure goals and objectives within the Waiver are connected to broader initiatives with the agency. Coordinate activities with the various independent third party evaluators.
* Manage Arizona 1115 Waiver including, but not limited to researching and drafting 1115 Waiver proposals ensuring AHCCCS meets federal public notice and other requirements. Plan, organize and present at public forums regrading proposed 1115 Waiver changes; and timely submission of federal reporting and 1115 Waiver deliverables to CMS.
* Provide updates on evaluation milestones to CMS and Executive Management. Prepare administrative reports for CMS and the public on evaluation results and successes of demonstrations.
* Work with the Health Policy & Strategic Planning Consultant to manage and update Medicaid and CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) State Plans as needed.
* Conduct research and analysis on health care policy including federal and state legislation and draft issue papers containing in-depth analysis and recommendations. Monitor the evolution of other states’ Medicaid programs as well as policy developments/trends at the national level and summarize for executive management.
* Coordinate policy research/analysis teams and providing a framework for discussion of complex policy issues. Review CMS guidance, proposed and final rules and work with internal subject matter experts to draft and submit AHCCCS comments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Arizona’s Medicaid and CHIP programs, federal and state laws and regulations related to Medicaid including 1115 Waivers and State Plan and other federal and state health programs.
* The principle, methods, or tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, and managing projects and resources, including monitoring and inspecting costs and work, risk management and mitigation of risk.
* Excellent research and analytical skills, ability to conceptualize new health policy proposals and develop recommendations, and ability to propose solutions to complex policy issues.
* Interpersonal skills, developing and maintaining professional working relationships as applied to staff, representatives of other governmental agencies and the public.
* Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
* Work and project manage multiple external independent vendors who conduct evaluation of different demonstrations with Waiver and develop a work plan and anticipate all work steps including potential issues.
* Adapt to a rapidly changing environment and priorities, effectively deal with ambiguity.
* Three (3) years’ experience related to health care policy.
* An advanced degree from an accredited college or university in policy, or health-related discipline.
* Demonstrated work experience in developing, conducting evaluations in health care related field.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4497. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.