Title: Actuarial Intern
- REMOTE OPTIONS
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Courage, Teamwork
The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry.
Come join our dynamic and dedicated team.
Division of Business & Finance (DBF)
Address: 801 E. Jefferson Street, Phoenix, AZ 85034
Salary: $15 Hourly
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position may be on a part-time or full-time basis and on a short-term or long-term basis depending on the scheduling needs of the Intern. The position will provide the Intern opportunities to work closely with experienced analytical and actuarial staff, apply quantitative skills in support of important agency projects and gain exposure to health finance and state government.
Under the direction of a Healthcare Financial Consultant within the Actuarial team, this Intern's primary duties and responsibilities will include:
* Analyze data to support development of the CYE 25 capitation rates.
* Review development and actuarial certifications for the CYE 24 capitation rates.
* Support actuaries and analysts in various rate setting tasks as needed.
* Assist in data validation process for actuarial team.
* Computer skills in Cognos reports and Google Suite
* Demonstrated knowledge with Excel and other MS Office applications
* Data analysis and research methods
* Medicaid and managed care payment principles
* Collection, organization and summary of large data sets using Excel and other software
* Internet research to track rate-setting issues, methodology updates and federal requirements
* Verbal and written communication skills
* Strong ability to work and communicate with a broad spectrum of professionals, and effectively present information both orally and in writing
* Student will be enrolled in a BS/BA degree program, or enrolled in a Masters/PhD program.
* Candidate must be able to work in the US without requiring sponsorship.
* Candidate must have a GPA of 3.0 or better.
* Selective preference will be given to students with emphasis in Actuarial Science, Data Analytics, Math or Statistics.
* Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
* Successfully pass fingerprint background check, prior employment verifications and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
If this position requires driving or the use of a vehicle as an essential function of the job to conduct State business, then the following requirements apply: Driver’s License Requirements.
All newly hired State employees are subject to and must successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify).
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by emailing email@example.com.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. The State of Arizona is an Equal Opportunity/Reasonable Accommodation Employer.