Title: Accounting Supervisor 2
Accounting Supervisor 2
The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry.
Come join our dynamic and dedicated team.
Accounting Supervisor 2
Address: 801 E. Jefferson Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85034
Salary: $74,800 - $79,090
Closing Date: Open until filled
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accounting Supervisor 2. This position manages through subordinate supervisors, a staff of professional accountants responsible for the integrity of the agency accounting system; accountability for the security of financial records including expenditures, deposits, and transfers; accuracy and quality of work products; system processing of all programmatic invoices through AFIS accounts payable for health plans, program contractors, and providers. This position manages an internal control structure through the approval of reconciliations and financial data of the AFIS and PMMIS automated systems and reviews and approves AFIS invoices, transfers, and deposits.
Management and review the processing of payment and reconciliation of capitation, fee-for-service, reinsurance, mental health, disproportionate share hospital, SMIB/HIB, FQHC and graduate medical education (GME), nursing facility(NFA), critical access hospitals (CAH), children's rehabilitation services (CRS), and other supplemental, programmatic services to health plans, program contractors, and health care providers from the Prepaid Medical Management Information System (PMMIS) to the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS). Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* The management and operation of all receipts and expenditures to the accounting system as appropriate and reconciliation of activity which includes multiple funds.
* Monitor the Acute, Long-Term Care and KidsCare programmatic expenditure appropriations and quarterly allotments recommending appropriation /allotment transfers as necessary to meet projected funding needs.
* Supervise fund transfers to other State Agencies for programmatic expenditures.
* Supervise financial reconciliation involving programmatic appropriated and nonappropriated expenditures, revenue, deposits, etc. Responsible to ensure that cash and appropriations are available to meet the Agency's needs for pass through to other agencies.
* Provide supervision, training and monitor the accuracy and quality of all work products including the direct supervision of one Accountant I and indirect supervision of four accounting staff.
* Perform the functions as the agency AFIS/PMMIS Security Administrator that reviews system access and signature authorization in terms of internal control implications. Perform annual review with ISD Data Security for AFIS.
* Oversee, Monitor, and Reply to Health Plan/Provider Customer Service ticket questions, concerns and requests.
* Monitor and track interfaced manual invoices and report to ensure timely and accurate programmatic payments for 100% of all providers and health plans.
* Review the Arizona Department of Administration, General Accounting Office 1099 Miscellaneous report for accurate and timely reporting to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), for all registered providers receiving payments. Oversee, review, and coordinate with Provider Registration the B-Notice corrections.
* Oversee, review, and coordinate with Provider Registration the B-Notice corrections regarding Tax ID and owners name discrepancies.
* Special projects as assigned such as recommending modifications and user acceptance testing to the automated system, PMMIS, for new program payments allocation, tracking and reporting.
* Oversee unit call center for providers' inquiries and requests.
* Review and approve providers‘ EFT‘s applications to ensure forms are accurate and approved in a timely manner.
* Review Office of Inspector General settlement deposits for accuracy and timely submittal.
* Review supplemental manual payments entered by other staff to make sure they are in accordance with appropriate funds and federal rates.
* Review and approve providers’ refunds and return checks to make sure deposits are completed in a timely manner.
* Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental and Financial Accounting Standards Board (GASB and FASB pronouncements and accrual and economic resources focus and modified accrual and current financial resources focus basis of accounting. Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and Generally Accepted Governmental Auditing Standards (GAGAS).
* Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and State laws, regulations and policies governing AHCCCS' programs as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR's), Arizona Revised Statutes, Arizona Session law, State Accounting Rules (State of Arizona Accounting Manual) and AHCCCS Administrative Policies and Procedures.
* Management, leadership and interpersonal relationship skills to establish and maintain and effective working association with individuals, management and supervision, project teams and committees, inside and outside the agency.
* Experience with software applications in a Windows environment including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point) and other robust accounting, database and mainframe software/systems.
* Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with management and staff within the agency, with other State agencies and with external auditors.
* Strong analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills, including the ability to maintain and reconcile complex multiple funding source payment methodologies.
* Assign and monitor workloads among staff including providing the training as necessary in their job functions.
* Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or a closely related field required.
* One year experience at the Accounting Supervisor 1 level or equivalent.
* Knowledge and experience of robust automated accounting systems including AFIS (Arizona Financial Information System).
* Experience designing requirements, testing and implementing programs within a complex automated systems in order to produce financial control reports and statistical data for expenditure/appropriation monitoring.
* Knowledge and experience with the mainframe application; PMMIS (Prepaid Medical Management Information System).
* Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
* Successfully pass fingerprint background check, prior employment verifications and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
* Travel may be required for State business. Employees who drive on state business must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.) AND have an acceptable driving record for the last 39 months including no DUI, suspension or revocations and less than 8 points on your license. If an Out of State Driver License was held within the last 39 months, a copy of your MVR (Motor Vehicle Record) is required prior to driving for State Business. Employees may be required to use their own transportation as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
10 paid holidays per year
Paid Vacation and Sick time off (12 and 13 days per year respectively) - start earning it your 1st day (prorated for part-time employees)
A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
A robust and affordable insurance plan, including medical, dental, life, and disability insurance
Participation eligibility in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (must meet qualifications)
RideShare and Public Transit Subsidy
A variety of learning and career development opportunities
Opportunity to work 100% virtually or remotely on an ad-hoc basis (home office)
By providing the option of a full-time or part-time virtual/remote work schedule, employees enjoy improved work/life balance, report higher job satisfaction, and are more productive. Remote work is a management option and not an employee entitlement or right. An agency may terminate a remote work agreement at its discretion.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Lifetime Pension Benefit Program
Administered through the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
Defined benefit plan that provides for life-long income upon retirement.
Required participation for Long-Term Disability (LTD) and ASRS Retirement plan.
Pre-taxed payroll contributions begin after a 27-week waiting period (prior contributions may waive the waiting period).
Deferred Retirement Compensation Program
Program administered through Nationwide.
Tax-deferred retirement investments through payroll deductions.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.