Title: Accountant 3
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Courage, Teamwork
The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry.
Come join our dynamic and dedicated team.
Address: 801 E. Jefferson Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85034
Salary: $63,000 - $68,000
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accountant 3. This position is critical in implementing reporting requirements that exceed conventional governmental accounting standards. They include highly complex federal financial reporting regulations for medical expenditures for Arizona’s Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance programs. These expenditures exceed $18 billion per year. In addition, this position has vital responsibilities for expenditures and cash federal reporting of Federal grants. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Performing professional operating accounting work requiring the standardized application of the established accounting principles, theories, concepts and practices for the creation of Quarterly Statement of Expenditures reports for Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and for the management at Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS).
* Analyzing variances and responding with expert level knowledge to federal auditors from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), AHCCCS’ Federal cognizant agency. Summarizing accounting literature in support of reporting and grant compliance requirements.
* Performing professional cost accounting work when completing the daily federal draw for approximately 3 billion dollars per quarter for multiple grants under Title 19 and Title 21 of Social Security Act and multiple Behavioral Health Grants.
* Overseeing and performing financial analysis of the AFIS generated cost accounting documents for reasonableness, identifying inconsistencies and errors and proactively providing recommendations to the management for their correction.
* Establishing and maintaining effective fiscal management by performing expert analysis of AFIS accounting structure and coding (including the complex Cost Allocation structure) to complete the federal draw by federal awards correctly.
* Developing and updating the Federal draw procedures, providing upper management with accurate input and effective solutions when improvements are needed.
* Preparing the grant reconciliation for Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and other grants, Annual Federal Financial Status Report, FFR 425 and Quarterly Federal Cash Transaction Report supports. For internal control purposes, this position performs comprehensive balancing between the internal tracking documents, AFIS, Data Warehouse and Payment Management System reports
* Developing processes and conducting revenue reconciliations, between the Payment Management System (PMS) and the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) for all federal grants, including all Behavioral Health grants, Title19 and Title 21 awards.
* Reconciling reports and financial data from AHCCCS’ Prepaid Medical Management Information System (PMMIS), AHCCCS’ accounting system for medical payments, to AFIS.
* Monitoring the available federal award balances to ensure adequate federal funding is available for payment of programmatic and administrative expenditures through the end of each quarter. This position is critical in recommending to the management when the supplemental award should be requested.
* Ensuring compliance with the Federal Cash Management policy and procedures (Cash Management Improvement Act), recognizing inconsistencies and making recommendations for changes.
* Monitoring State cash investment/divestment of funds and Federal cash draws and related deposits with the State Treasurer to ensure sufficient grant monies are available to cover AHCCCS’ Federal funding needs.
* Assist with special projects and prepare complex data analysis or reports and makes recommendations to management on internal control improvements and procedural changes. Determine necessary changes required to mainframe programs, database and spreadsheet applications used in the ongoing analysis and compilation of expenditure and revenue data used in the financial reporting processes.
* Automated accounting systems and in software applications in a Windows and or Google environments; Excel, Word, Access, and other PC based accounting databases, Cognos, spreadsheet and mainframe software.
* The methods and techniques of development of accounting data and processing related to large financial systems.
* Budgetary and financial requirements; internal control, fiscal management; federal grants management; and procurement and contracts management.
* Analytical, organizational and problem solving, including the ability to interpret financial and statistical data.
* Principles and practices of accounting and auditing in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as determined by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS).
* Federal and State laws, rules, regulations and policies governing financial requirements related to the Agency’s programs as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), State of Arizona Accounting Manual (SAAM), Arizona Revised Statutes including current legislative session law and AHCCCS Administrative Policies and Procedures.
* Work effectively and efficiently in a high paced, continuously changing environment with
frequently changing priorities.
* Bachelors Degree in accounting or closely related field required; Two years experience in accounting or equivalent.
* Experience in government/fund accounting.
* Preferred experience with the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS).
* Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
* Successfully pass fingerprint background check, prior employment verifications and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
* Travel may be required for State business. Employees who drive on state business must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.) AND have an acceptable driving record for the last 39 months including no DUI, suspension or revocations and less than 8 points on your license. If an Out of State Driver License was held within the last 39 months, a copy of your MVR (Motor Vehicle Record) is required prior to driving for State Business. Employees may be required to use their own transportation as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
* 10 paid holidays per year
* Paid Vacation and Sick time off (12 and 13 days per year respectively) - start earning it your 1st day (prorated for part-time employees)
* A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
* A robust and affordable insurance plan, including medical, dental, life, and disability insurance
* Participation eligibility in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (must meet qualifications)
* RideShare and Public Transit Subsidy
* A variety of learning and career development opportunities
* Opportunity to work 100% virtually or remotely on an ad-hoc basis (home office)
By providing the option of a full-time or part-time virtual/remote work schedule, employees enjoy improved work/life balance, report higher job satisfaction, and are more productive. Remote work is a management option and not an employee entitlement or right. An agency may terminate a remote work agreement at its discretion.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Lifetime Pension Benefit Program
* Administered through the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
* Defined benefit plan that provides for life-long income upon retirement.
* Required participation for Long-Term Disability (LTD) and ASRS Retirement plan.
* Pre-taxed payroll contributions begin after a 27-week waiting period (prior contributions may waive the waiting period).
Deferred Retirement Compensation Program
* Voluntary participation.
* Program administered through Nationwide.
* Tax-deferred retirement investments through payroll deductions.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by emailing email@example.com.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.