Title: Account Payables Accounting Specialist 1
Account Payables Accounting Specialist 1
The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry.
Come join our dynamic and dedicated team.
Account Payables Accounting Specialist 1
Address: 801 E. Jefferson Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85034
Closing Date: Open until filled
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accounting Specialist-1 in the Account Payables Unit. This position is responsible of processing administrative payments and deposits, inter and intra agency transfers and professional customer service. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Interpret and apply Agency, State and Federal policies and procedures when reviewing purchase orders for accuracy, processing invoices and making payments.
* Reconciles, analyzes, verifies and balances financial transactions. Process intra and sister agency transfers in AFIS, establishing encumbrances and adjusting them when necessary.
* Prepare detailed spreadsheets and companion transfers to allocate the agencies fuel charges to the appropriate divisions within AHCCCS.
* Responsible for professional customer service. Communicate both verbally and in writing with internal and external customers with respect to various accounts payable and general accounting inquiries. Respond to inquiries through letters, emails and telephone calls within a timely manner.
* Performs a variety of accounting and clerical duties using automated systems.
* Submit deposits to the State Treasurer and deposit adjustments for non-sufficient fund checks.
* Experience in accounts payables and accounting systems.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Strong customer service, interpersonal skills and telephone etiquette.
* Ability to plan, organize and prioritize tasks.
* Experience with Microsoft office, Word, and Excel; and Google suite.
* High school diploma, GED.
* 1 year of accounting experience.
* Communicate proficiently in Spanish verbally and in written form.
* Knowledge and experience using the State Accounting System (AFIS).
* Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
* Successfully pass fingerprint background check, prior employment verifications and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
* Travel may be required for State business. Employees who drive on state business must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.) AND have an acceptable driving record for the last 39 months including no DUI, suspension or revocations and less than 8 points on your license. If an Out of State Driver License was held within the last 39 months, a copy of your MVR (Motor Vehicle Record) is required prior to driving for State Business. Employees may be required to use their own transportation as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
10 paid holidays per year
Paid Vacation and Sick time off (12 and 13 days per year respectively) - start earning it your 1st day (prorated for part-time employees)
A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
A robust and affordable insurance plan, including medical, dental, life, and disability insurance
Participation eligibility in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (must meet qualifications)
RideShare and Public Transit Subsidy
A variety of learning and career development opportunities
Opportunity to work 100% virtually or remotely on an ad-hoc basis (home office)
By providing the option of a full-time or part-time virtual/remote work schedule, employees enjoy improved work/life balance, report higher job satisfaction, and are more productive. Remote work is a management option and not an employee entitlement or right. An agency may terminate a remote work agreement at its discretion.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Lifetime Pension Benefit Program
Administered through the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
Defined benefit plan that provides for life-long income upon retirement.
Required participation for Long-Term Disability (LTD) and ASRS Retirement plan.
Pre-taxed payroll contributions begin after a 27-week waiting period (prior contributions may waive the waiting period).
Deferred Retirement Compensation Program
Program administered through Nationwide.
Tax-deferred retirement investments through payroll deductions.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.