Programmatic Payables Manager
Programmatic Payables Manager
The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
Programmatic Payables Manager
Salary: $68,000 - $71,900
Closing Date: 11/12/2021
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accounting Supervisor 2. This position manages through subordinate supervisors, a staff of professional accountants responsible for the integrity of the agency accounting system; accountability for the security of financial records including expenditures, deposits, and transfers; accuracy and quality of work products; fiduciary responsibility of multiple bank accounts; system processing for all programmatic invoices through AFIS accounts payable for health plans, program contractors, and providers. This position manages an internal control structure through the approval of reconciliations and financial data of the AFIS and PMMIS automated systems and reviews and approves AFIS claims, transfers, and deposits. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Management and review of the processing, payment, and reconciliation of capitation, fee-for-service, reinsurance, mental health, disproportionate share hospital, SMIB/HIB, FQHC and graduate medical education (GME), nursing facility(NFA), critical access hospitals (CAH), children's rehabilitation services (CRS), and other supplemental, programmatic services to health plans, program contractors, and health care providers from the Prepaid Medical Management Information System (PMMIS) to the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS).
* Management and review of the preparation of Federal reports for compliance with Federal laws and regulations that result in administrative expenditures being accepted or denied for Federal Share reimbursement for the Acute, KidsCare and Long Term Care administrative expenditures.
* The management and operation is the posting/recording for all receipts and expenditures to the accounting systems as appropriate and reconciliation of activity which includes fourteen funds and multiple appropriation line items encompassing numerous programs with total annual expenditures projected to be $9 billion.
* Monitor the Acute, Long Term Care and KidsCare programmatic and administrative expenditure appropriations and quarterly allotments recommending appropriation /allotment transfers as necessary to meet projected funding needs. Supervise fund transfers to other State Agencies for programmatic and administrative expenditures. Supervise financial reconciliation involving programmatic appropriated and nonappropriated expenditures, revenue, deposits, etc. Responsible to ensure that cash and appropriations are available to meet the Agency's needs for pass through to other agencies.
* Provide supervision, training and monitor the accuracy and quality of all work products including the direct supervision of one accountant and indirect supervision of four accounting staff.
* Review report of agency bonus related to electronic programmatic payments pay measure by the 25 of the month for the prior month period, Prepare the report as a backup.
* Perform the functions as the agency AFIS/PMMIS Security Administrator that reviews system access and signature authorization in terms of internal control implications. Perform annual review with ISD Data Security for AFIS.
* Oversee, Monitor, and Reply to Health Plan/Provider Customer Service ticket questions, concerns and requests.
* Monitor and track claims from manual and system report to ensure timely and accurate programmatic payments for 100% of all providers and health plans. Coordination of the annual vendor payment tape generated through PMMIS that is provided to the Arizona Department of Administration, General Accounting Office for accurate and timely reporting to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Form 1099-MISC for all registered providers receiving payments. Oversee, review, and coordinate with Provider Registration the B-Notice corrections.
* Special projects as assigned such as recommending modifications and user acceptance testing to the automated system, PMMIS, for new program payments allocation, tracking and reporting.
* Expert knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental and Financial Accounting Standards Board (GASB and FASB pronouncements and accrual and economic resources focus and modified accrual and current financial resources focus basis of accounting. Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and Generally Accepted Governmental Auditing Standards (GAGAS).
* Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and State laws, regulations and policies governing AHCCCS' programs as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR's), Arizona Revised Statutes, Arizona Session law, State Accounting Rules (State of Arizona Accounting Manual) and AHCCCS Administrative Policies and Procedures.
* Considerable knowledge of the State of Arizona automated accounting system, AFIS, and application software (Excel, Access, Word, etc.) in order to design, implement and utilize these automated systems for expenditures tracking, claiming and reporting .
* Supervisory techniques including staff motivation strategies.
* Experience with software applications in a Windows environment including, Excel, Word, Access and other PC-based accounting, database, spreadsheet and mainframe software/systems, including the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS).
* Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with management and staff within the agency, with other State agencies and with external auditors.
* Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills, including the ability to maintain and reconcile complex multiple funding source payment methodologies. Design requirements, test and implement complex automated systems in order to produce financial control reports and statistical data for expenditure/appropriation monitoring.
* Ability to assign and monitor workloads among staff including providing the training as necessary in their job functions.
* Knowledge of this position will be gained through a combination of training and experience as follows: Training should be geared towards healthcare principles; Federal and State regulations to the Title XIX and Title XXI programs and automated systems.
* Knowledge of this position will be gained through a combination of training and experience as follows: Training should be geared towards healthcare principles; Federal and State regulations to the Title XIX and Title XXI programs and automated
* A minimum of five years of accounting work experience in governmental or related financial accounting utilizing complex automated systems preparing variety of financial reports and statements. Preferred experience will include accounting experience obtained in the healthcare field.
* Bachelor's degree in the field of Accounting or Finance is preferred.
* A minimum of two years supervisory experience and five years of accounting work experience in governmental or related financial accounting utilizing complex automated systems preparing variety of financial reports and statements.
* Preferred experience will include accounting experience obtained in the healthcare field.
* Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.