Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
First Resume Review: 04/30/2019
This position will remain open until filled
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous im provement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The Office of Administrative Legal Services (OALS) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Paralegal. This position serves as a high level assistant offering paralegal services to a staff of seven attorneys. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Completing special projects and assisting attorneys with a wide ranging array of administrative support
* Preparing and drafting legal memoranda, briefs, pleadings, Director’s Decisions, opinions, legal correspondence and reports, and other documents
* Compiling, annotating, and indexing provisions of statutes, cases and administrative decisions; conducting legal research and legal research projects, researching and investigating complex cases
* Assisting attorneys in preparing cases for various kinds of legal actions and securing evidence and documentation; assisting attorneys in managing docket, including tracking deadlines and project milestones; providing courtroom support to trial attorney during hearings, trials, etc.
* Other duties may include processing and responding to subpoenas and public records requests; assisting with trust reviews and implementation of any new and upcoming federal and state statutes, regulations and rules; and assisting with agency-wide HIPAA auditing and compliance
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Demonstrated knowledge of concepts, medical and legal terminology, principles and procedures of American law
* Knowledge of methods and techniques for writing briefs, opinions, reports, and other documents; methods and techniques of legal research and use of statues codes and other legal resources
* Knowledge of the rules, regulations and policies governing the grievance and appeals process
* Knowledge of Arizona and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, the basic legislative process, and Westlaw and/or Lexis
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including skill in writing legal documents
* Ability to extract and use information from statutes, court decisions, legal documents and related records
* Ability to interview and elicit information in a legal investigations
* Arizona driver’s license
* Paralegal certification (ALP, PLS or PP from NALS or closely related field)
* 1-3 years of experience working in a legal environment
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4497. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.