The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
Closing Date: 11/12/2021
The Office of the Director (OOD) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Legislative Intern. The intern will be responsible for collaborating with current staff members on a broad scope of program initiatives and projects. A large focus will be on working with the Chief Legislative Liaison to monitor and track legislation. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Assist with stake holder meetings, tracking actions for projects, communicating with stakeholders regarding projects.
* Track multiple projects and communicate with all stakeholders on progress of projects.
* Track and analyze the implications of proposed state and federal legislation.
* Prepare and respond to pending and legislative inquiries.
* Research and Special Project as needed.
* Other duties as assigned as related to the position.
* Knowledge of principles and practices of public administration with emphasis on organization and management; Health care search, analysis and connecting research to reform opportunities and stakeholder communications.
* Knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid.
* Technical skills to draft bill summaries and legislative amendments.
* Ability to review and analyze the implications of proposed state and federal legislation.
* Ability to research state and federal rules and regulations.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Bachelor's degree in field of knowledge (or working towards) preferred, such as public administration, public service, public policy, law, healthcare administration, business administration/management, or political science.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.