Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
Health Policy & Strategic Planning Consultant
First Resume Review: 12/20/2018
This position will remain open until filled.
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The Office of the Director (OOD) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Health Policy & Strategic Planning Consultant. This position serves a key role in AHCCCS’ Office of the Director by managing the AHCCCS State Plans, negotiating the terms and conditions of these governing documents with federal officials, serving as the AHCCCS point person for development of the agency's strategic planning goals, performing health policy research and sophisticated policy analysis, giving public presentations, and working closely with Governor's Office staff, members and staff of the Arizona legislature, CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) staff and other officials and stakeholders. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Manage and update the Medicaid and CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) State Plans as needed, including negotiating terms and conditions with CMS and ensuring AHCCCS meets federal public notice and other requirements. Ensure the agency's compliance with the State Plans. Work closely with stakeholder groups regarding: proposed changes to the State Plans, and plan, organize and present at public forums regarding proposed changes to the State Plans.
* Review CMS proposed and final rules and work with internal subject matter experts to draft and submit AHCCCS comments. Draft and submit federally required documents and reports. Work closely with CMS staff responsible for oversight of the AHCCCS Program. Plan, organize and host CMS site visits.
* Conduct research and analysis on health care policy including federal and state legislation and draft issue papers containing in-depth analysis and recommendations. Monitor the evolution of other states' Medicaid programs as well as policy developments/trends at the national level and summarize for executive management. Coordinate policy research/analysis teams and provide a framework for discussion of complex policy issues.
* Serve as the AHCCCS point of contact for state-wide and inter-agency strategic planning initiatives and the AZIPs (Arizona Integrated Planning System) strategic planning system. Work with executive management to draft AHCCCS strategic plans including identifying potential areas to target for improvement. Collect quarterly updates on the agency's progress towards the strategic goals.
* Liaise with members and staff of the state legislature, especially with respect to federal requirements and developments, and provide advice on legislative issues as needed. Develop and submit documents and reports required by the State Legislature.
* Other duties as assigned as related to the position
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Demonstrated knowledge of Medicaid and CHIP programs and systems as well as general health policy principles, concepts and practices
* Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations related to Medicaid and other federal and state health programs
* Demonstrated knowledge of legislative and administrative processes related to federal and state health programs
* Excellent research and analytical skills, ability to conceptualize new health policy proposals and develop recommendations, and ability to propose solutions to complex policy issues
* Advanced interpersonal abilities including excellent relationship development and management skills, teamwork skills, and oral and written communication skills
* Strong political acumen and sense of discretion
* Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and priorities
* At least two (2) years’ experience related to health care policy
* At least two (2) years’ experience with the State and/or Federal government
* An advanced degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for some experience
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4497. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.