The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
The Division of the Grants Administration (DGA) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Grant Accountant. This position will provide financial oversight for multiple discretionary grants. The position is grant funded and may be eliminated based on the availability of funding.
* Assist the NTXIX and Grants Manager in preparing and completing key deliverables throughout the grant lifecycle. This will include becoming familiar with the funding opportunity announcements (FOA)’s, budget development, assisting with grant setup, implementation deliverables, monitoring day to day financial activities, reporting requirements and grant closeout processes.
* Assist DGA program by acting as financial subject matter expert (SME) in all activities including: drafting and review of allocation schedule/letters, scopes of work, task orders, contract amendments, and other project narrative in order to ensure financial compliance. The financial SME will participate in any Request for Proposals (RFP)’s related to the discretionary grants.
* Serve as the financial liaison between various divisions such as Division of Business and Finance, Division of Fee for Service Management, and others. This collaboration will assist in providing any information needed for site visits, audits, operational reviews, and other financial oversight activities.
* Perform functions of administration and reporting to include, but not limited to preparation and timely submission of discretionary grant applications and reports, development and adjustment of associated budgets, coordination of budgeted funds, and monitoring of fund balances.
* Develop Standard Work by mastering the current best practices for discretionary grant management and documenting these processes to be implemented within the DGA finance team.
* Conduct research and analysis to provide technical assistance to contractors, other state agencies, and internal and external staff on federal grant requirements. Research will include Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) guidelines, State regulations, State accounting policies and other pertinent authoritative policies as needed.
* Monitor and review contractor expenditure reports and ensure compliance with Federal, State and Agency policies.
* Prepare monthly expenditure and encumbrance reports, administrative reconciliations, budget projections, and ad hoc reporting for discretionary grants. Distribute reports to program and other internal and external stakeholders as needed.
* Engages with relevant staff to monitor personnel salary and benefit data for the purpose of identifying discrepancies, resolving problems and/or issues, and ensuring that expenditures are in line with budget limits.
* Maintain grant and contract files up to date with grant regulation, contract spreadsheets, procurement tracking and AFIS payment information. While assisting in processing grant related manual payments.
* Perform other accounting duties related to areas of responsibility as needed.
* Knowledge of state government, governmental accounting, accounting software and systems
* Knowledge of federal grants management, state and federal regulations, and grant policies and procedures
* Knowledge of state procurement code, Arizona Procurement Portal (APP), and Policies and Procedures
* Knowledge of budgetary and financial requirements, internal control, fiscal management, and contracts management
* Skilled in problem analysis and resolution, written and verbal communication, extensive financial analysis and interpretation of financial data, federal grant systems, facilitating and leading meetings, and project management
* Ability to think independently and make sound decisions consistent with Department mission, vision and values
* Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a high paced, continuously changing environment with frequent interruptions.
* A minimum of two years of accounting work experience in governmental or related financial accounting. Preferred experience will include accounting experience obtained in the healthcare field.
* Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Public Administration or other related fields.
* Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) experience is a plus.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.