The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
The Division of Health Care Management (DHCM) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Finance Intern. This position may be on a part-time or full-time basis up to, but not exceeding six months, depending on the scheduling needs of the Intern. The position will provide the Intern opportunities to work closely with experienced analytical and Finance staff and gain exposure to health finance and state government.
* Develop some COGNOS queries to assist in the validation of data/information, for example, Contractors’ self-reported revenue and member months
* Develop, implement, and test various automated Excel, MS Access or COGNOS queries to monitor and summarize Contractors’ financial information
* Assist with the Unit’s LEAN objective of process improvement by automating (either developing Excel macros or MS access databases) and writing the desk level procedures for the new processes
* Develop other desk level procedures
* Update weekly Finance Huddle Board metrics
* Support for various Finance tasks
* Demonstrated experience in Excel and/or MS Access
* Familiar with financial statements
* Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and see project through to completion
* Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of professionals both orally and written
* Computer skills: Above average computer skills in Excel, Google Suite and MS Access
* Team and interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication skills
* Enrolled in an undergraduate program with completion of the following courses: Accounting 101, General Business and Computer Software
* Some experience with decision support software such as Business Objects or COGNOS Reports
* Interest in Health Finance and Public Service
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.