Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
Chief Legislative Liaison and Policy Advisor
First Resume Review: 10/19/2018
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The Office of the Director (OOD) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Chief Legislative Liaison and Policy Advisor. The Chief Legislative Liaison and Policy Advisor will research, analyze and develop proposed legislation on behalf of the AHCCCS Administration and represent AHCCCS before the State Legislature. This position will act as a Senior Advisor to the AHCCCS Executive team on matters pertaining to state legislation and health care policy. This position will represent the agency in working directly with state legislators, other state officials, other agency representatives, and key stakeholders. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Communicate externally with legislators, legislative staff, Governor’s office staff, counterparts at other agencies and stakeholders regarding AHCCCS-related matters, represent AHCCCS at committee hearings and other legislative and stakeholder meetings and events
* Communicate information/updates and provide analysis and recommendations to AHCCCS executives concerning the legislature and legislative proposals, key stakeholders and their priorities and initiatives, the political landscape, and the evolution of health care policy
* Advocate on behalf of the administration and its legislative agenda
* Identify introduced bills that could impact the administration, its initiatives or priorities; coordinate with subject matter experts and stakeholders to evaluate the potential impacts of such legislative proposals; liaise with Governor’s office as needed; monitor identified bills and keep AHCCCS informed
* Research, analyze and develop proposed legislation on behalf of the AHCCCS in cooperation with subject matter experts and AHCCCS executives; draft legislative text for proposals and for amendments as needed
* Provide direct supervision, performance review/evaluation, approve leave and work schedules, makes hiring and disciplinary decisions and/or recommendations. Manage the day to day operations of staff
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Knowledge of Arizona state government’s structure, functions, operations, and processes including development of state budget
* Knowledge of Arizona Legislature’s processes and parliamentary procedures
* Knowledge of Federal Medicaid program structure, purpose, covered populations, services, etc.
* Highly developed verbal communication skills including public speaking
* Managerial and interpersonal skills and effectively directing the work of others
* Ability to write clearly, concisely and effectively regarding complex and often sensitive subject matter
* High aptitude for critical thinking, analytical reasoning and strategic planning regarding complex systems and policies
* Bachelor’s degree plus 5 years in a legislative affairs role and/or directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
* Two years of supervisory/managerial experience
* Experience at the Arizona legislature
* Experience with health care policy or in the health care industry
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4497. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email [email protected] or call 602-542-4700.