The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
Salary: $170,000 - $210,000
The Division of Health Care Management (DHCM) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Chief Actuary. After extensive training, this position has the potential of being worked from home with some in office meetings. The AHCCCS Chief Actuary is responsible for all Medicaid capitation rate setting activities performed by the Division of Health Care Management and reports to the Assistant Director. In this role, the position sets the strategic direction and provides operational oversight for a team of credentialed actuaries and support staff.
* Ensure capitation rates are actuarially sound for all managed care lines of business, including integrated behavioral health and long term supports and services programs. Oversee the development of all capitation rates, including certifications that account for trends, program changes, and impacts of state or federal legislation and regulation.
* Monitor financial performance of managed care organizations (MCOs) to pro-actively identify issues, respond to MCO inquiries, and evaluate emerging experience.
* Lead engagement with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and MCOs on all actuarial and capitation issues. Collaborate on communications to the Governor's Office and Legislature.
* Define a team structure that supports the development of AHCCCS actuaries and staff, including achieving credentials, continuing education, a structured peer review process, and opportunities for growth and advancement
* Present capitation rates and actuarial issues to the Agency Director and/or Deputy Director for Health Plan Operations.
* Commercial and government health insurance analysis.
* Comprehensive knowledge of higher mathematics related to actuarial work.
* Comprehensive knowledge of advanced statistical principles and techniques.
* Comprehensive knowledge of rate setting procedures.
* Adept in interpersonal relations and negotiation techniques.
* Effectively supervise and mentor credentialed actuaries.
* Translate complex actuarial studies and findings into recommendations.
* Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, math, or related field.
* Preferred designation of Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA).
* Five years of actuarial experience in Medicaid managed care.
* Experience with Arizona marketplace or other Medicaid managed care environment.
* Minimum designation of Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) and Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA).
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.