Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
First Resume Review: 03/16/2020
This position will remain open until filled.
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
A one-time sign on incentive of $5,000 will be paid in one lump sum payment within 30 days from the hire date. The onetime sign on incentive is taxable, and all regular payroll taxes will be withheld. Should the selected candidate voluntarily terminate employment within the first 12 months from the hire date, the State of Arizona will withhold a prorated amount of the incentive from the selected candidates final pay.
The Division of Health Care Management (DHCM) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Actuary Chief. The AHCCCS Actuary Chief is responsible for all Medicaid capitation rate setting activities performed by the Division of Health Care Management and reports to the Assistant Director. In this role, the position sets the strategic direction and provides operational oversight for a team of credentialed actuaries and support staff. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Ensure capitation rates are actuarially sound for all managed care lines of business, including integrated behavioral health and long term supports and services programs. Oversee the development of all capitation rates, including certifications, that account for trends, program changes, and impacts of state or federal legislation and regulation.
* Monitor financial performance of managed care organizations (MCOs) to pro-actively identify issues, respond to MCO inquiries, and evaluate emerging experience.
* Lead engagement with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and MCOs on all actuarial and capitation issues. Collaborate on communications to the Governor's Office and Legislature.
* Define a team structure that supports the development of AHCCCS actuaries and staff, including achieving credentials, continuing education, a structured peer review process, and opportunities for growth and advancement
* Present capitation rates and actuarial issues to the Agency Director and/or Deputy Director for Health Plan Operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Demonstrated knowledge of commercial and government health insurance analysis.
* Comprehensive knowledge of higher mathematics related to actuarial work.
* Comprehensive knowledge of advanced statistical principles and techniques.
* Comprehensive knowledge of rate setting procedures.
* Adept in interpersonal relations and negotiation techniques.
* Effectively supervise and mentor credentialed actuaries.
* Translate complex actuarial studies and findings into recommendations.
* Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, math, or related field.
* Preferred designation of Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA).
* Five years or more of experience with Arizona marketplace or other Medicaid managed care environment.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4678. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.