The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
Salary: $100,000 - $120,000
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Budget Administrator. This position is responsible for planning and directing all of the Agency’s statutorily-mandated budgeting functions. This critical position prepares and managers the Agency’s budget of nearly $18.0 billion budget (based on FY22 Request) for submission to the Assistant Director of DBF, Deputy Director, Director and the Governor’s Office of Strategic Planning and Budgeting (GOSPB). This position is responsible for the Agency’s financial reports and reconciliations; provides financial analysis, advice, and guidance to the Agency’s executive management and ensures compliance with State and Federal regulations and procedures.
* Administer and oversee the development and execution of the agency’s $17.8 billion budget submission (based on 9/1/20 submission) to the Assistant Director of DBF, Deputy Director, Director and the Governor’s Office of Strategic Planning and Budgeting (GOSPB).
* This position plans, organizes, and monitors the financial activities of the agency and prepares the agency’s financial reports. Oversees the agency’s administrative expenditures; oversee the development and timely submission of the agency Monthly Cash Flow and Appropriation Tracking reports to GOSPB and the Division Monthly Expenditure Reports to Agency Leadership..
* Primary point of contact for all budgetary matters for the Joint Legislature Budget Committee (JLBC), OSPB, and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS ), the Federal Medicaid oversight Agency.
* Responsible for the timely and accurate submission of all quarterly federal budget reporting tools including the CMS-37, CMS-21b, and Budget Neutrality monitoring template.
* Participates as a member of the Agency Executive Leadership Team; sets goals, objectives, and business models for the agency; approves agency wide policies and procedures; and disseminates information across the agency.
* Coordinate the budget development and expenditure tracking of pass-through funding with the Department of Economic Security, the Department of Health Services, the Department of Child Safety, Department of Corrections, Department of Juvenile Corrections, the County’s, the Office of Administrative Hearings, the Indian Advisory Council, and the Board of Nursing.
* Responsible for the agency’s federal Budget Neutrality agreement and monitoring as required by the federal waiver allowing the state to expand Medicaid coverage to 100% of the Federal Poverty Level.
* Defend the AHCCCS budget (the State’s largest total fund and the second largest General Fund appropriations) before the Governor, the legislature, OSPB, JLBC, and Federal Auditors. Prepares the Director and Deputy Directors for the presentation of documents and provides financial advice and information as needed.
* Ensures financial records and procedures are in compliance with accounting standards, federal regulations and state statutes.
* Knowledge of current government accounting principles, standards, and guidelines; State and Federal laws and regulations governing financial reporting; statistics and forecasting; State and Federal legislative process; State and Federal budget process; and the Agency’s programs, funding sources, and cost allocation plan.
* Knowledge of managed care, prepaid health systems, and health care delivery system concepts and practices; Federal Medicaid rules and regulations
* Comprehensive knowledge of financial analytical reviews and statistical techniques used to develop complex forecast and projection financial models.
* Skill in Oral and written communications of complex concepts; statuary and rules interpretation, issue identification, and resolution; Establishing competing priorities, and handling a variety of sensitive and complex tasks simultaneously; Organizing and policy and presenting sensitive and complex material to executive level audiences.
* Skill in developing work plans, preparing and conducting employee appraisals; Leadership and management skills required to delegate staff and other areas of agency; Developing and initiating fiscal policy and directives.
* Ability to build complex financial models and present financial information in understandable non-financial manner.
* Ability to analyze challenging problems and/or issues; solve complex multi-dimensional problems under high pressure and short time lines.
* Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field is required. A Master’s degree in these fields and/or preferred. Practical work experience managing the budget of large multi-divisional organization.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.