The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
The Division of Health Care Management (DHCM) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Actuary. The purpose of this Position is to provide additional actuarial expertise and services to AHCCCS by developing actuarially sound capitation rate ranges, determining reasonable adjustments to capitation rates based on trends, changes in AHCCCS policies, rules, state statue, federal rules, federal laws. These services involve review and pricing for multiple AHCCCS programs such as AHCCCS complete care (ACC), ALTCS EPD Program, including integrated sub0contractor rates, BH Program, CMDP Program.
* Developing, implementing, and updating diagnosis- based risk adjustment model for AHCCCS programs.
* Learning to develop actuarially sound capitation rates for the AHCCCS program, including trend analysis, viability and use of encounters and analysis on other impacts to the program that would impact capitation rates.
* Oversee professional staff responsible for providing actuarial analysis and support.
* Developing models to help with actuarial analysis. Calculating costs for potential program changes, budget requirement and ad hoc analysis.
* Comprehensive knowledge of advanced statistical principals and techniques
* Knowledge of federal Regulations relating to Medicaid and Medicare
* Comprehensive knowledge of higher mathematics related to actuarial work
* Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
* Effective listening and questioning skills
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships
* Multi-task in a fast-paced environment where re-prioritization occurs frequently
* Three years’ experience with health care actuarial services, Medicaid preferred
* Experience with the Arizona Marketplace desirable
* A combination of both commercial and managed care experience
* Minimum designation Associates of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) and Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA) or demonstrated progress toward achieving designation
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.