Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
First Resume Review: 12/04/2019
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The Division of Health Care Management (DHCM) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Actuarial Intern. Under the direction of the Health Care Financial Analyst, this position may be on a part-time or full-time basis and on a short-term basis depending on the scheduling needs of the Intern. The position will provide the Intern opportunities to work closely with experienced analytical and actuarial staff, apply quantitative skills in support of important agency projects and gain exposure to health finance and state government. Under direction of the Health Care Financial Analyst, this position’s primary duties and responsibilities will include:
* Compare and analyze AHCCCS coverage and fee-for-service rates to other states.
* Research academic studies to support modeling of program change impacts used in capitation rate setting.
* Perform detailed analysis of service utilization data. Communicate and work with information systems staff to create or revise data extracts.
* Summarize state and federal regulations.
* Assist in preparing Access Monitoring Analysis report.
* Support actuaries and analysts in various rate setting tasks as needed.
* Other duties as assigned as related to the position (typically 5% - 10%)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Demonstrated knowledge with Excel, Access and other MS Office applications.
* Data analysis and research methods
* Medicaid and managed care payment principles
* Collection, organization, and summary of large data sets using Excel and Access
* Internet research to track rate-setting issues, methodology updates, & federal requirements
* Strong ability to work and communicate with broad spectrum of professionals and effectively present information both orally and in writing.
* Computer skills: Cognos Reports and Google Suite.
* Current pursuit of degree in quantitative field, such as actuarial science, data analytics, math or statistics.
* Team and interpersonal skills.
* Verbal and written communications skills
* Interest in Health Finance and Public Service.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4497. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.