Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
First Resume Review: 04/11/2019
This position will remain open until filled
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a well-organized self-starter to join our team as a senior level Accountant. This position is located in the Financial Reporting Unit and prepares accounting and financial statements, maintains financial data imported to a data warehouse environment, manages the annual financial statement and Single Audits and performs other special projects as required. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Working with considerable independence managing the design, development and maintenance of the transaction coding profile elements necessary to enable an automated production of accrual and modified accrual basis financial statements within the statewide accounting system.
* The timely preparation of AHCCCS’ annual financial statements requiring review, analysis, validation and compilation of over $13 billion revenue and expenditure to ensure accuracy and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements and in compliance with the Arizona Department of Administration’s (ADOA) requirements and deadlines for inclusion in the State’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
* Managing, coordinating and assisting with the agency’s external annual financial statement and Single Audits, compliance sample selections and testing and ensuring documentation is prepared and available to support the timely conclusion of audits.
* Performing financial reporting functions for the Medicaid School Based Services program that include participating in the review of claim calculation methodologies and performing audit review procedures and preparing summary reports for distribution to management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Skilled in Microsoft Office applications, Google email and calendar applications, financial accounting systems and data warehouse applications.
* Advanced accounting, financial statement preparation and audit coordination experience.
* Detail-oriented with strong written and oral communication skills to document processes and communicate effectively on technical matters with both internal and external customers.
* Strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret financial and statistical data.
* Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and State laws, regulations and policies governing AHCCCS’ programs as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Arizona Revised Statutes, State Accounting Rules (Arizona Accounting Manual), and AHCCCS administrative policies and procedures. This position works independently applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), Financial Accounting Standards Boards (FASB) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) theories and concepts in a state governmental environment.
* Formal education as evidenced by a Bachelor degree with a major in either Accounting or Finance.
* A minimum of five years of accounting work experience in governmental or related financial accounting utilizing complex automated systems preparing variety of financial reports and statements. Preferred experience will include accounting experience obtained in the healthcare field.
* Training should be geared towards governmental and financial accounting/auditing principles; Federal and State regulations and automated systems.
* Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) and Grants Management experience is a plus.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4497. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.