The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
The Division of the Grants Administration (DGA) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Accountant 3, grade 22 in the Finance Unit.
* Develop, maintain, and analyze payment schedules and process monthly payments in the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS). Review contractor spending plans through financial analysis of financial statements, audits, spending trends, forecasting, in accordance with state and federal regulations. Advise management of recommendations and issues.
* Prepare and review financial data, reports, and budget and program narratives for grant applications, state and federal reporting, subrecipient contracts, Interagency Service Agreements (ISA), and Intergovernmental Agreements (IGA). Process and track receipt of revenue in AFIS and other internal systems.
* Provide comprehensive financial analysis and expertise on areas including budget, cash management, cost allocation, labor activity, grants management, fiscal audit controls, internal control, recoupments, payment reconciliation, and compliance with state and federal regulations, sub-recipient monitoring, and state & federal reporting.
* Provide technical assistance to contractors on payments, recoupment of funds, housing, internal control, state and federal funds, and spending plans, in accordance with state and federal regulations.
* Perform other accounting/budgetary duties related to areas of responsibility as needed.
* Automated accounting systems and in software applications in Windows and/or Google environments; Excel, Word, Access and other PC based accounting databases, spreadsheet and mainframe software.
* Substantial knowledge of the methods and techniques of development of accounting data and processing related to large financial systems.
* Knowledge in budgetary and financial requirements; internal control, fiscal management; federal grants management; and procurement and contracts management.
* Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a high paced, continuously changing environment with frequently changing priorities.
* Skill in analytical, organizational and problem solving, including the ability to interpret financial and statistical data.
* Principles and practices of accounting and auditing in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as determined by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS).
* Federal and State laws, rules, regulations and policies governing financial requirements related to the Agency’s programs as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), State of Arizona Accounting Manual (SAAM), Arizona Revised Statutes including current legislative session law and AHCCCS Administrative Policies and Procedures.
* A minimum of two years of accounting work experience in governmental or related financial accounting. Preferred experience will include accounting experience obtained in the healthcare field.
* Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Public Administration, or other related fields.
* Arizona Financial Information Systems (AFIS) experience is a plus.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting email@example.com.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.