The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
Salary: $58,850- $64,850
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accountant 3. Under limited supervision, this senior level accountant position works independently applying knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements, Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) announcements, Federal and State laws, regulations and policies governing AHCCCS' programs, State Accounting Rules (Arizona State Accounting Manual), and AHCCCS policies and procedures. This position applies basic principles, concepts, practices, methods and techniques of governmental accounting focused on accounts payable as well as cash and accrual accounting. Also, this position has substantial knowledge of the methods and techniques of development of data processing related to large financial systems. Finally, this position has knowledge of financial research methodologies.
* Communicate quarterly with DHCM staff to obtain dollar amounts and due date of the quarterly manual HEALTHII directed payments to the health plans. In addition, this position will manually enter and process these HEALTHII payments into AFIS, the State accounting system. Notify DHCM staff of the payment date for the HEALTHII direct payments.
* Calculate monthly requirement of capitation component based on date of payment member months. Prepare quarterly transfers of State Match capitation expenditures to the Health Care Investment Fund (HCIF) to the appropriate eligibility categories.
* Prepare quarterly transfers of State Match administrative expenditures (payroll and consulting) to the Health Care Investment Fund utilizing a maximum of 1% of the assessment dollars.
* Analyze the appropriateness of the quarterly invoicing amount in relation to payments to ensure the invoicing amounts are adequate. Report on any potential cash flow issues.
* Monitor and report on HCIF revenues and expenditures utilizing InfoAdvantage reports, ensure HCIF and Hospital Assessment funds are not integrated.
* Utilize AFIS InfoAdvantage reports to monthly reconcile the HCIF fund and prepare revenue and expenditure reports on an accrual basis so the balance agrees to the AFIS fund balance and on a cash basis so the balance agrees to the AFIS fund cash balance.
* Assist Finance Operations Administrator with creating and revising any Health Care Investment Fund standard work procedures.
* Perform other accounting duties related to areas of responsibility as needed.
* Knowledge to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements; Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) announcements; Federal and State laws, regulations and policies governing AHCCCS' programs; State Accounting Rules (Arizona State Accounting Manual); and AHCCCS policies and procedures
* Knowledge of basic principles, concepts, practices, methods and techniques of government accounting
* Proficient in financial reporting and reconciling multiple funds on an accrual and cash basis of accounting
* Knowledge of an accounts payable and general ledger processing system to include processing payments, preparing transfers/journal entries, electronic payment processing, researching system issues and reconciliation of transactions and fund balances
* Skilled in efficient organization, time management and prioritization techniques
* Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite products
* Ability to research issues/problems to determine the nature of the problem, provide resolution and act on the solution
* Minimum of 24 semester hours of accounting courses and 3 years experience in a customer service related accounts payable (processing payments, transfers/journal entries, multiple fund reconciliations) environment utilizing an automated accounting system with direct interaction required with businesses over the telephone and emails.
* Knowledge and experience using AFIS.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.