The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
Salary: $60,850 - $61,850
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accountant 3 . The individual selected for this position will be part of the Finance Section/Reporting team. The Accountant-3 position is critical for the accurate and timely reporting of AHCCCS programmatic expenditures and ensuring that all State and Federal financial reporting requirements are met.
* Preparing and submitting the quarterly federal expenditure reports to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) accurately and within very strict deadlines. This requires maintaining internal control process and compiling, testing, analyzing and reconciling significant amounts of complex data from various sources to ensure that these reports properly capture all available federal funding for AHCCCS program expenditures.
* Maintaining databases, queries and spreadsheets for program recoveries from various sources.
* Applying the appropriate Federal Medicaid Assistance Percentages (FMAP rates) for the different federal fiscal years and various eligibility categories to determine correctly federal share to be claimed on the CMS reports.
* Preparing and submitting to the federal auditors the complete set of supporting documentation for the expenditures reported quarterly in an organized manner, with clear audit trail.
* Preparing federal drawdown requests and processing them through the Department of Health and Human Services Payment Management System. Completing the federal draw accurately, within the strict deadline, for multiple federal grants based on the AFIS generated draw documents. Applying daily an internal control process to reconcile the system generated payments file to the federal draw.
* Preparing transfers of funds as required to record expenditures or revenue to the appropriate funding sources.
* Monitoring quarterly Title XIX and Title XXI grant award balances to ensure adequate federal funding is available for payment of programmatic and administrative expenditures.
* Interacting with the State and Federal auditor, compiling and analyzing data and providing management with written analysis regarding questioned expenditures.
* Answering the CMS variance analysis questions by researching and analyzing Prepaid Medicaid Management Information System (PMMIS) transactions by utilizing data warehouse. Analyzing manual transactions reviewed by the federal auditors and preparing explanations and comparisons.
* Developing and updating process flows, narratives, desk procedures and other documentation on important processes within the Reporting Unit.
* Automated accounting systems and in software applications in a Windows and or Google environments; Excel, Word, Access, and other PC based accounting databases, Cognos, spreadsheet and mainframe software.
* Substantial knowledge of the methods and techniques of development of accounting data and processing related to large financial systems.
* Knowledge in budgetary and financial requirements; internal control, fiscal management; federal grants management; and procurement and contracts management.
* Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a high paced, continuously changing environment with frequently changing priorities.
* Skill in analytical, organizational and problem solving, including the ability to interpret financial and statistical data.
* Principles and practices of accounting and auditing in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as determined by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS).
* Federal and State laws, rules, regulations and policies governing financial requirements related to the Agency’s programs as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), State of Arizona Accounting Manual (SAAM), Arizona Revised Statutes including current legislative session law and AHCCCS Administrative Policies and Procedures.
* Bachelors or Master’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Public Administration or other related fields..
* A minimum of two years of accounting work experience in governmental or related financial accounting.
* Preferred experience with the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS).
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.