The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
Salary: 50,000 - 56,000
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accountant-2. The individual selected for this position will be part of the Finance Section/Reporting team. The Accountant-2 will assist with the accurate and timely accounting for AHCCCS programs and ensure accurate financial reporting requirements are met for the State and Federal governments.
* Preparing and submitting the quarterly federal expenditure reports to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This requires maintaining internal control process and compiling and reconciling significant amounts of complex data from various sources to ensure that these reports properly capture all available federal funding for AHCCCS program expenditures.
* Preparing federal drawdown requests and processing them through the Department of Health and Human Services Payment Management System.
* Preparing transfers of funds as required to record expenditures or revenue to the appropriate funding sources.
* Monitoring quarterly Title XIX and Title XXI grant award balances to ensure adequate federal funding is available for payment of programmatic and administrative expenditures.
* Interacting with the State and Federal auditor, compiling and analyzing data and providing management with written analysis regarding questioned expenditures.
* Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they relate to governmental accounting.
* Experience with automated financial accounting systems; performing data queries to research and retrieve appropriate information and experience analyzing complex financial reports.
* Comprehensive understanding of the internal controls and financial reporting.
* Ability to solve problems, make sound decisions independently and communicate in a clear concise manner.
* Possess organizational and analytical skills, ability to adapt to the continuously changing business environment and to work accurately under strict deadlines.
* Skilled in using Microsoft Office applications.
* Possess a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field with experience in governmental fund accounting.
* A minimum of 24 hours of accounting or equivalent courses and at least one year of demonstrated professional experience applying Generally Accepted Principles (GAAP) as they relate to governmental counting.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.