Title: Accountant 1
The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry.
Come join our dynamic and dedicated team.
Address: 801 E. Jefferson Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85034
Salary: $40,500 - $43,500
Closing Date: Open until filled
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accountant-1. The person in this position will be responsible to validate and reconcile system interface files from PMMIS to AFIS. This person will also handle the unit call center to research and answer providers’ concerns and requests. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Validate and reconcile system interface files from PMMIS to AFIS for payments.
* Monitor processing of Medicaid provider creation and modification interface files into AFIS and identify issues for corrective action.
* Process and review providers electronic funds transfer (ACH/EFT) enrollment requests.
* Reconcile and report sub fund revenues/expenditures and cash balance to management on a monthly basis.
* Reconcile suspense account and research aged invoice status in AFIS on an annual basis.
* Run weekly Health Plans payment report for management.
* Run monthly, quarterly and annually report for Department of Insurance.
* Enter and process supplemental manual payments in accordance to appropriated funds and Federal rates.
* Review supplemental Manual Payments entered by other staff to make sure they are in accordance with appropriate funds and federal rates.
* Monitor providers’ tickets and warrant inquiries email for provider concerns and requests.
* Support unit call center for providers’ inquires and requests.
* Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); comprehensive knowledge of the principles, concepts, practices, methods, and techniques of governmental accounting.
* Demonstrate independence, strong analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills, including the ability to maintain and reconcile complex multiple funding source payment methodologies.
* Good oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to adapt to changing priorities in an efficient and effective manner.
* Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or a closely related field required.
* Knowledge and experience of robust automated accounting systems. Accounts Payable, Cash Receipt, General Ledger and Vendor Customer modules are a plus
* Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point).
* Successfully complete the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify), applicable to all newly hired State employees.
* Successfully pass fingerprint background check, prior employment verifications and reference checks; employment is contingent upon completion of the above-mentioned process and the agency’s ability to reasonably accommodate any restrictions.
* Travel may be required for State business. Employees who drive on state business must complete any required driver training (see Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12.) AND have an acceptable driving record for the last 39 months including no DUI, suspension or revocations and less than 8 points on your license. If an Out of State Driver License was held within the last 39 months, a copy of your MVR (Motor Vehicle Record) is required prior to driving for State Business. Employees may be required to use their own transportation as well as maintaining valid motor vehicle insurance and current Arizona vehicle registration; however, mileage will be reimbursed.
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
10 paid holidays per year
Paid Vacation and Sick time off (12 and 13 days per year respectively) - start earning it your 1st day (prorated for part-time employees)
A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
A robust and affordable insurance plan, including medical, dental, life, and disability insurance
Participation eligibility in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (must meet qualifications)
RideShare and Public Transit Subsidy
A variety of learning and career development opportunities
Opportunity to work 100% virtually or remotely on an ad-hoc basis (home office)
By providing the option of a full-time or part-time virtual/remote work schedule, employees enjoy improved work/life balance, report higher job satisfaction, and are more productive. Remote work is a management option and not an employee entitlement or right. An agency may terminate a remote work agreement at its discretion.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Lifetime Pension Benefit Program
Administered through the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)
Defined benefit plan that provides for life-long income upon retirement.
Required participation for Long-Term Disability (LTD) and ASRS Retirement plan.
Pre-taxed payroll contributions begin after a 27-week waiting period (prior contributions may waive the waiting period).
Deferred Retirement Compensation Program
Program administered through Nationwide.
Tax-deferred retirement investments through payroll deductions.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.