Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
State Government Intern
First Resume Review: 03/19/2019
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The Office of Administrative Legal Services (OALS) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Summer Intern. There also is a possibility of the internship continuing on into the school year. The position will involve work with all attorneys and paralegals in OALS and be under the supervision of the Deputy General Counsel. OALS is responsible for overseeing the Agency rulemaking process, and the Grievance System for the AHCCCS program. The major components of the Grievance System include scheduling State Fair Hearings for disputed matters, the informal adjudication of member appeals and provider claim disputes, investigations, and the issuance of AHCCCS Hearing Decisions subsequent to recommendations made by the Administrative Law Judges. Other major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Conducting legal research;
* Drafting legal memoranda, agency policies, rules, etc.;
* Meeting with subject matter experts or other personnel within the Agency as necessary;
* Present findings and recommendations to both legal and non-legal staff of the Agency;
* Review administrative decisions and preparing final Director’s Decision;
* Attend administrative or superior court hearings;
* Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Knowledge of and ability to apply legal research techniques, collaboration and organization of data
* Verbal and written communication; ability to maintain confidentiality and interact effectively with persons of diverse skills and background
* Knowledge of principles of statutory and regulatory interpretation; principles of administrative law
* Ability to provide insight to various situations
* Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
* Concurrent enrollment in an accredited law school and successful completion of one year of course work
* Interest in health law
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4497. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.