The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
Salary: $77,112 - $108,000
The Division of Health Care Management (DHCM) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Actuary. After extensive training, this position has the potential of being worked from home with some in office meetings. The AHCCCS Actuary will develop actuarially sound capitation rates to be paid to managed care organizations (MCOs) for AHCCCS programs. This work includes determining reasonable adjustments to capitation rates based on trends and changes in AHCCCS policies, rules, state statutes, federal statutes, and federal regulations. AHCCCS may fill this position with an individual that has earned the Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) and Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA) designations, or an individual that is in the process of earning these designations.
* Develop actuarially sound capitation rates for AHCCCS programs, including trend analysis, viability and use of encounters, and analysis of other impacts to programs that would impact capitation rates.
* Develop and update models to assist in actuarial analysis including, but not limited to, completion factors, encounters, financials, trends, and program changes.
* Produce cost estimates associated with potential program changes, budget items, and ad hoc analysis.
* Obtain and/or maintain professional designations required to perform actuarial work.
* Extensive knowledge of commercial health insurance analysis.
* Comprehensive knowledge of higher mathematics related to actuarial work.
* Comprehensive knowledge of advanced statistical principles and techniques
* Excellent knowledge of computer techniques used in research and analysis.
* Excellent writing and verbal communication skills and Effective listening and questioning skills.
* Strong analytical ability and able to plan and conduct complex actuarial studies.
* Analyze complex data and draw valid conclusions and prepare accurate comprehensive reports.
* Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, math or related field.
* Experience related to health care actuarial services, especially within a managed care environment.
* Minimum designation Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) and Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA).
* Two years of actuarial experience
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.