The Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid agency, is driven by its mission to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is a nationally acclaimed model among Medicaid programs, and a recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility. Among government agencies, AHCCCS is recognized for high employee engagement and satisfaction, supportive leadership, and flexible work environments, including remote work opportunities. With career paths for seasoned professionals in a variety of fields, entry-level positions, and internship opportunities, AHCCCS offers meaningful career opportunities in a competitive industry. AHCCCS employees are passionate about their work, committed to high performance, and dedicated to serving the citizens of Arizona.
Salary: $70,800 - $73,800
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accountant 4 . This position is located in the Financial Reporting Unit and is critical for preparing accounting and financial statements, maintaining financial data imported to a data warehouse environment, managing the annual financial statement and Single Audits and performing other special projects as required.
* Working in collaboration with the other accountants to maintain the design and development of the Agency’s transaction coding profile elements in Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) necessary to enable an automated production of accrual and modified accrual basis financial statements within the statewide accounting system. This requires streamlining of the business processes, designing functionality and future business enhancements to facilitate both daily cash management and reporting needs and the creation of agency financial statements.
* Reviewing, analyzing, validating and compiling with considerable independence data for over $14 billion revenue and expenditure for the timely and accurately preparation of AHCCCS financial statements. This requires compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements and the Arizona Department of Administration’s (ADOA) requirements and deadlines for inclusion in the State’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
* Managing, coordinating and assisting with the agency’s external annual financial statement audit and Single Audit. Providing support for sample selections and testing and ensuring documentation is prepared and available to facilitate the timely conclusion of audits. This requires excellent collaboration with significant number of other teams within the Agency, independent work with various reporting and accounting system for responding timely and accurately to the audit request and providing the required support.
* Performing financial reporting functions for the Medicaid School Based Services program that include participating in the review of claim calculation methodologies and performing audit review procedures and preparing summary reports for distribution to management.
* Reviewing and reconciling the federal grant revenue and expenditures, including review of accounting transactions and balances to identify transaction errors and other processing problems for preparation of AHCCCS’s Statement of Expenditures of Federal Awards (SEFA).
* Reconciling AFIS fund balances including Federal or State revenue and expenditures, county revenue, Third Party Liability (TPL) revenue, premium revenue, and collected fees. Preparing reports to management for review.
* Assisting with special projects and preparing complex data analysis and reports including analysis, testing and research utilizing data warehouse for the completion of the Federal Financial Expenditure Reports for the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid - Quarterly Medicaid Statement of Expenditures for Medical Assistance Program and Quarterly Children’s Health Insurance Statement of Expenditures - CMS-64 and CMS-21. Participating in reviewing the manual entries for these reports with the ultimate goal to identify and complete the accrual entries for the Agency’s Financial Statements.
* Submitting recommendations to the management for internal control improvements and procedural changes.
* Comprehensive knowledge of and ability to implement Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), Financial Accounting Standards Boards (FASB) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) theories and concepts. Knowledge of Federal and State laws, regulations and policies governing AHCCCS’s programs as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Arizona Revised Statutes, State of Arizona Accounting Manual (SAAM), and AHCCCS administrative policies and procedures.
* Skilled in Microsoft Office applications, Google email and calendar applications, financial accounting systems and data warehouse applications.
* Advanced accounting, financial statement preparation and audit coordination experience.
* Detail-oriented with strong written and oral communication skills to document processes and communicate effectively on technical matters with both internal and external customers.
* Strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret financial and statistical data.
* Ability to complete assignment within strict deadlines in a fast paced environment, working with considerable volume of data.
* Ability to work efficiently independently and in a team environment, to be highly adaptive and to embrace changes on a daily basis.
* Strong problem-solving skills.
* Formal education as evidenced by a Bachelor degree with a major in either Accounting or Finance..
* A minimum of five years of accounting work experience in governmental or related financial accounting utilizing complex automated systems preparing variety of financial reports and statements. Preferred experience will include accounting experience obtained in the healthcare field..
* Training should be geared towards governmental and financial accounting/auditing principles; Federal and State regulations and automated systems.
* Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS), Grants Management and Business Intelligence System experience is a plus.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan.
For a complete list of benefits provided by The State of Arizona, please visit our benefits page
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by contacting 602-417-4497.
Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. Arizona State Government is an AA/EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.